A Lament for the PC USA Church
(Thanks for sharing this sermon on Facebook over a 1,500 times!)
by Reverend Anthony R. Locke
English Standard Version
1 Woe to her who is rebellious and defiled, the oppressing city!
2 She listens to no voice; she accepts no correction. She does not trust in the Lord; she does not draw near to her God.
3 Her officials within her are roaring lions; her judges are evening wolves that leave nothing till the morning.
4 Her prophets are fickle, treacherous men; her priests profane what is holy; they do violence to the law.
5 The Lord within her is righteous; he does no injustice; every morning he shows forth his justice; each dawn he does not fail; but the unjust knows no shame.
6 “I have cut off nations; their battlements are in ruins; I have laid waste their streets so that no one walks in them; their cities have been made desolate, without a man, without an inhabitant.
7 I said, ‘Surely you will fear me; you will accept correction. Then your dwelling would not be cut off according to all that I have appointed against you.’ But all the more they were eager to make all their deeds corrupt.
8 “Therefore wait for me,” declares the Lord, “for the day when I rise up to seize the prey. For my decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out upon them my indignation, all my burning anger; for in the fire of my jealousy all the earth shall be consumed.
On July 24th of 1960, we, the First Presbyterian Church of Tucker, helped daughter the Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church. We didn’t do it voluntarily. We experienced a church split, yet God doubled His outreach efforts by dividing us in half.
For a short period of time the new church met in the Tucker Elementary School, eventually relocating to 4882 Lavista Road.
Saint Andrews Church joined the largest Presbyterian denomination in our country at the time; the United Presbyterian Church USA.
This is the same denomination that J. Gresham Machen left a few years earlier when he formed the Orthodox Presbyterian Denomination. One of his churches is right down the road from us called Redeemer Orthodox Presbyterian on Chamblee Tucker Road.
The Presbyterian Church USA was not as orthodox as Machen wanted. So he left. This is still good advice.
Two years later the United Presbyterian Church USA joined with the United Presbyterian Church in America. In 1983 they joined with the PCUS to form today’s PCUSA.
Now, if you are visiting here today then you might be comforted to know that we never hear sermons in this place which excoriate other professing believers. And in fact, we will not be hearing a sermon today which speaks condescendingly of other believers.
We are speaking about the demise of a denomination. Denominations come and go. Religious groups and labels are not permanent. Even the ARP will one day be only a blip in the history books of bygone religious organizations.
We are not criticizing the good people in the PCUSA. We are speaking about the demise of the denomination.
But still, it’s always dangerous to criticize any portion of the Bride of Christ. No husband wants to hear someone speak condescending words about his wife. Jesus is no different.
We should love and pray for denominations in decline. We should not personally criticize the Church. We should let Presbytery and Synod speak difficult words if those words are necessary.
Sadly, we live in a time that require strong words about the PCUSA denomination. Our Synod has written those words in a formal rebuke which was delivered from the ARP to the PCUSA this last month (June 2011).
Th issues involved are not new. It’s like watching a bridge rust over time. At first there is just surface rust and no one is concerned while driving across the bridge.
Through the years the rust gets deeper, more ominous and more concerning. People begin to talk about the problems and their concerns, but they also keep using the bridge.
Then one day the whole bridge shifts or changes in a visible way. The yellow caution tape comes out and inspections begin. But if people have trusted the bridge to get them from point A to point B their whole life, then often they drive past the warning signs and keep using the bridge.
Finally, the day comes when the bridge collapses into a pile of twisted metal and concrete. Only the blind attempt to use the bridge to get from one side to the other.
We are living in an age where the Presbyterian Church in the USA (PCUSA) has collapsed. The bridge is twisted and broken beyond repair. It no longer faithfully leads people from point A (Earth), to point B (Heaven).
And only the spiritually blind of this world still try to use the bridge.
What caused the final collapse?
In the opinion of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Synod, the final collapse happened when they began ordaining open-practicing homosexuals to the Gospel ministry.
And churches, like the Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church on Lavista, have no support from their denomination to depose their minister if he, or she, announces from the pulpit that they are divorcing their spouse and publicly embracing a gay lifestyle.
The church would have no denominational support to legally remove that minister, because the denomination has now taken the official position that living in a homosexual relationship is acceptable to a Holy God.
Woe to her who is rebellious and defiled, the oppressing city!
Let me illustrate with a recent news event.
When Atlanta school administrators lied about the test scores of their students, those teachers removed the help that would have come to those students. The lie kept these students in failing schools with a false sense of security. The students assumed a bright future awaited them because the school awarded them high marks. But that was a lie. In truth, their low test scores set them on a path toward failure, misery and poverty.
When the church lies about the clear commandments and standards of God, then the church gives their members a false sense of eternal security. People breaking God’s commands may be led to think that they have a bright future awaiting them because the church gave their life high marks. But if that was a lie, then the wrath of a Holy God awaits them.
Woe to her who is rebellious and defiled, the oppressing city! Sin oppresses and destroys. If the Church does not speak the truth about God’s commands, then sinful lives are never called to hope through repentance, faith and resurrection power.
God will severely judge anyone that endorses an open homosexual lifestyle. (This is not a sermon to address how someone becomes gay. That can be debated. The Bible is very clear about homosexual activity. God’s opinion about homosexual activity is not open to debate.)
And the PCUSA church has given high marks, good grades, for the people who embrace a gay lifestyle. The PCUSA is now setting openly gay men and women as the pastors of their congregations. This marks the collapse of that denomination.
Many other denominations and organizations have been calling the PCUSA to repentance. The bridge has been creaking and shifting for years, but the Church has been unwilling to change.
Verse 2, She listens to no voice; she accepts no correction. She does not trust in the Lord; she does not draw near to her God.
In 1965 a group of concerned people within the PCUSA church organized a magazine called the Layman to confront the rust of false doctrine that was eating away at their church. They were not able to stop the rust.
Almost every year, to no avail, a group of ministers or ruling elders have very publicly stood up within the denomination to call her to repentance.
And a month ago our ARP Synod wrote our final appeal for repentance. This is the letter we sent:
WHEREAS the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America PC(USA) has taken action at its 220th General Assembly to ratify Amendment 10-A,
And WHEREAS Amendment 10-A removes the constitutional requirement that all
ministers, elders and deacons live in “fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman or chastity in singleness.”
And WHEREAS this action will allow the ordination of persons such as practicing homosexuals who do not live according to Biblical standards of sexual morality,
And WHEREAS by doing so the PC(USA) has blatantly usurped God’s authority given in His Holy Scriptures,
And WHEREAS the PCUSA is propagating to its congregants the lie that homosexuality is acceptable in God’s sight, defying the truth of the Scriptures, which condemns homosexuality as sin,
THEREFORE in humble acknowledgement of her own shortcomings, the Associate
Reformed Presbyterian Church, at its 207th Synod meeting, condemns the action taken by the PC(USA) and implores the PC(USA) to confession, repentance and recantation over this recent action for the sake of the unity, peace, purity and prosperity of the Church of Jesus Christ Universal and Militant.
Verse 4 of our passage. her priests profane what is holy; they do violence to the law. God does not look with indifference at religious leaders who violently bend the laws of God so as not to offend a world in hostility toward God.
This is our last call for repentance as we have now officially removed all connections between our denominations and severed our fraternal communications with the PCUSA.
All of our military Chaplains are officially removed from the PCUSA endorsing board and have been transferred into the RPCNA.
We no longer recognize the PCUSA as a collection of believers being led by Christ. The PCUSA Church is being led by another spirit which is not the Holy Spirit.
We no longer believe that Jesus is the head of that denomination. We are calling on the faithful Christians left in that denomination to leave it.
This is a great lament and sadness. It feels as though a loved one has died. We feel the loss of their fellowship to evangelize the world and be salt and light to the corruption within our city.
The PCUSA denomination has now become our mission field.
Fortunately, our hope was not in a religious denomination.
The book of Revelation says that there is a man, who appears like a God, who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands. And He speaks eternal words of peace, mercy and judgment. He can gently fan the flickering light of a broken church into a flame of revival, or by His sovereign will remove a candlestick (church) which becomes corrupt.
Verse 5 of Zephaniah, The Lord within her is righteous; he does no injustice; every morning he shows forth his justice; each dawn he does not fail.
Jesus is the light of the world. Jesus is in the midst of the Church to lead us to holiness and righteousness. Even when church denominations fail, Jesus never fails.
We must keep our eyes on the Son of God, the light of the morning, who lights our feet on the path of true righteousness.
Only by following Jesus will we keep the ARP denomination useful for the Kingdom of God. Only by speaking His truth will we continue to be a light for others.
May we pray that God will grant us all mercy through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Service of the Lord’s Supper followed . . .
 The Holy Bible : English Standard Version. 2001. Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.
More posts in this category
- Can We Feel Predestination? — Romans 8:28-9:33There is an amazing Bible topic called Predestination. It answers some pretty important questions about God and our salvation. Specifically, predestination is suppose to make us feel certain things in our heart and in our faith about God and about our salvation. I know most people think of predestination as a painful journey in Calvinistic theology, ...
- A Reformed View of the 1,000 Years — Revelation 20:4-6The number ten is a specific number that holds meaning in the Bible. Like the Ten Commandments which cover all the Laws of Moses. So the number 10 times 10 times 10 is the completeness of the Trinity’s view on a matter within time and history. Two illustrations of that. Remember the number 144,000 that are ...
- Islam Requires Christians to Act Timid and Submissive, But God Expects Truth to Look Dominant! — Revelation 10:1-11If you lived in a Muslim country, and lived your faith in the public square, you would be required to act pensive and timid when walking down the street. You would be forced to submit, at least as reflected in your demeanor, to the superiority of Islam. Would you do it? Many Christians act that ...
- A Woman Rides the Beast — Revelation 17:10-18Everywhere you look people talk about being spiritual. Yoga empties us for spiritual enlightenment. Walking outdoors connects us to the Earth. Buying a hybrid car makes us feel like we are saving the planet. Yet, none of these things are real connections to the Father in comparison to what Jesus offers. Many churches participate in meeting ...
- God Never Leaves a Job Half Done — 1 Thessalonians 5:24September 25th, 2016 at the First Presbyterian Church of Tucker 1 Thessalonians 5:24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.English Standard Version There are no greater promises in the Bible regarding our salvation than a verse like this. That He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. I like the ...
- Despise NOT Prophesying — 1 Thessalonians 5:20August 21st, 2016 at the First Presbyterian Church of Tucker 1 Thessalonians 5:19 Do not despise prophecies. The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001. Wheaton: Standard Bible Society. Everybody on this planet hears the voice of God speaking to them about His glory. Psalm 19:1-4 The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his ...
- The Church of the Living Dead — SardisGospel passions build great organizations, but carelessness let’s them slide into Christian obscurity and Kingdom irrelevance. Consider the Kingdom Mission of Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton and Yale. Gospel passion made them grow, but carelessness left them useless for the Kingdom of Christ. The current fight within the ARP over Erskine is a work of sweat and ...
- A House of Prayer — John 2:13-17In Isaiah 56:7 God says that He will use our prayers to bring in the unchurched. these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer ...
- If Jesus Worked Miracles by His Divine Power, then He Cheated and I Can't Follow His ExampleThere was only one time that Jesus stopped acting as a man. There was only one time that Jesus stopped being found in fashion as a man. On the Mount of Transfiguration Jesus opened up the windows of His flesh to show His divine attributes independent of the anointing of the Holy Spirit. In that ...
- SAFE! — Psalm 91:1-16 by Reverend Chuck Wilsonby Reverend Charles Wilson Psalm 91 1:1-16 In 1868, the blind poet and hymn-writer Fanny Crosby wrote these beautiful words: Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast, There by His love o’ershaded, sweetly my soul shall rest. Many people are concerned about safety nowadays. We ask questions like: What is a safe stock in which to ...