$1 Million Cash Bequest Impacts ARP Church
Greenville SC – Aug. 30, 2012 – Steve Nichols, director of Gift Planning for the ARP Foundation, announces a $1 million bequest from the estate of the late R.Y. “Sonny” Bowers, Jr. of Lancaster, SC.
Including support of his church, First ARP Lancaster, the late R.Y. “Sonny” Bowers, Jr. directed an astonishing cash distribution from his estate in August of 2012 totaling $1 million. The bequest further directs distributions to the ARP Foundation, World Witness, Christian Education, Outreach North America, Erskine Seminary and the Bonclarken Endowment.
These gift bequests are expected to have a profound impact on furthering virtually every aspect of the mission and message of the ARP Church – strategically strengthening the local church; new church plants and revitalization; and evangelism and discipleship at home and overseas.
“We are grateful for Mr. Bowers’ leadership and generosity that so concretely reflect the Lordship of Jesus Christ in his life, family and work. As a steward, his legacy will be eternal and measured by impact on the Kingdom of God by the changed lives of people,” Nichols said.
Leith Scotland Update
Those who attended Family Bible Conference in July were able to hear Rev. Athole Rennie preach the evening worship services. Many also had the opportunity to meet his wife, Rosalynd and son, Erskine Here is an update from the Rennies upon returning home to Leith, Scotland.
We trust this email finds you well. We have recently returned from a busy three weeks in America where Athole spoke at the ARP Family Bible Conference as well as at several churches. Despite the busyness, the trip was a hugely encouraging time. We were thankful for the opportunity to catch up with old friends and make some new ones.
- For a new member by baptism on the 19th of August. It was great to celebrate all that the Lord has been doing in Pete’s life and to formally welcome him into membership in the church.
- For another new baby over the summer. Baby girl Alex was born to Hilary and Jonathan in July. That makes four babies so far this year and another two on the way before the end of the year DV.
- For the growing sense of community in the church, it has been a real encouragement to hear stories of more and more people regularly practicing hospitality in their homes and spending time with their neighbors, work colleagues and others in the church.
- For the encouragements of our US trip. It was great to see so much continued interest and prayerfulness for the work here. We never cease to be amazed at God’s goodness for the gospel partnership that’s developed over the past few years.
- For the grant we received from the Bonar Trust which has enabled us to appoint an intern for the coming year. Katherine will be involved in a women’s ministry and admin role at the church.
- For the arrival of Judson who will be serving Grace Church Leith this year and working with UCCF ministering to students in the city. You can follow his movements at http://alongthewayscotland.wordpress.com.
- On Sept. 2, we will celebrate the first anniversary since the public launch of Grace Church Leith.
- For continued prayer for all the new families, for energy and wisdom as they parent, and for the church to care well for everyone.
- For the safe arrival of the two babies due before the end of the year. Heather is due to give birth in mid October and Rosalynd is due at the end of November.
- We have an application with another Trust to provide further funds for Katherine’s internship. Please pray it will be successful. We should find out some time in the autumn.
- For newcomers to the church to feel welcomed and quickly feel at home.
- For the new teaching series on Ephesians. Pray that it would strengthen the church. As we grow in our understanding of God’s grace, pray we would be more excited about serving him and telling others about him.
- For increased opportunities to share the gospel with our contacts. Pray we would see those we are regularly in contact with come to know Jesus this year.
- For a restful holiday when the time comes. We plan to take a break at the end of September and are looking forward to a relaxing family time.
Thanks so much for your willingness to continue to pray for the ministry here. We are so grateful for the way prayers are being answered and so aware of our deep need for continued prayer. We long to see more people respond to the gospel and know that ultimately that will only happen as God’s Spirit draws them to himself. Please continue to pray that would happen.
- Sept. 7-9 – Bonclarken, Flat Rock, NC: The Capstone Conferencefor college students. Stephen Myers will speak on “Believing an eternal Gospel in a changing world. Registration deadline is Aug. 31.CEM@arpsynod.org.
- Sept. 8 – Rock Hill, SC: Parenting Seminar from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m., Rock Hill First ARP, “Understanding Your Kid’s World” for parents of teens with Rev. Bob Whittet. See info on http://www.arpcem.com/Christian_Education_Ministries/Home.html.
- Sept. 9 – Greenville, SC: Parenting Seminar from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Greenville ARP, “Understanding Your Kid’s World” for parents of teens with Rev. Bob Whittet, see info on http://www.arpcem.com/Christian_Education_Ministries/Home.html.
- Sept. 15 – Brighton, TN: Disciple Maker’s Conference, hosted by Brighton ARP; 14 training workshops on ministry to children, youth, adults and special needs friends: for everyone! 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- More info: http://www.arpcem.com/Christian_Education_Ministries/Home.html.
- Sept 14,15 – Bonclarken: Laity in Action Conference. Make plans now to attend. Erskine Seminary Professor Dr. Mark Ross will speak on The Doctrine of Inerrancy: What It Is and Is Not, and Why It’s Important. Child care and children’s program. For registration form: <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Statesville, NC: First Presbytery’s Senior Adult Fall Fling will be held Thursday, Sept. 20, at 9:30 a.m. at the Statesville First Church. Registration is $7.00.
- Bonclarken: Fall High School Retreat will be held Sept. 21-23. Cost is $80 per child. More info: email@example.com.
More posts in this category
Noteworthy ARP News
- Second Presbytery 2016 Spring MinutesSecond Presbytery 2016 Spring Minutes in PDF
- Ordained Into an Honorable Retirement — Ms. Harriet E. Leslie (Sermon Title: The Righteous Deeds of the Saints — Revelation 19:6-10)Dear Harriet E. Leslie, February 24th, 2013 You have completed your active service as a servant of the Church. Your sisters and brothers rejoice with you in the blessed evidence of God’s anointing upon your years of faithful ministry. We thank God for your love and dedication to Jesus Christ, and we praise God for the ...
- Why I Am Participating in Pulpit Freedom Sunday — Wayne GrudemThis Sunday I have agreed to join nearly 1,500 pastors nationwide and participate in Pulpit Freedom Sunday, sponsored by Alliance Defending Freedom. In my sermon, I plan to recommend that people vote for one presidential candidate and one political party that I will name. We will then all send our sermons to the IRS. This action ...
- ARP Views on AbortionWe believe that the Scriptures clearly and plainly testifies to the infinite worth of human life by virtue of man having been created in the image and likeness of God, and that decisions about life and death are God’s prerogatives and not man’s, and that even in the case of rare exceptions such as judgments ...
- Is Inerrancy A Bible Doctrine?Inerrancy is not an intellectual construct that we build in our mind after we make a careful analysis of the data. Jesus considered the Bible to be without error. Inerrancy is a Bible doctrine. To not embrace the doctrine of inerrancy is to pervert the Gospel and put your soul in danger. We do not ...